National Night Out Against Crime is held on the first Tuesday of August each year. It's a time for communities to come together, build relationships and stand united against crime. All neighborhoods are encouraged to have an outside event that evening. A going away party for the criminals... if you will! The focus is making Bellingham a safer place to live.
What is the goal of National Night Out?
- Heighten crime and drug prevention awareness
- Generate support for and participation in local anti-crime programs
- Strengthen neighborhood spirit and police-community partnerships and
- Send a message to criminals that neighborhoods are organized and fighting back
How do you organize a National Night Out event in your neighborhood?
Simply host a social gathering on your block in the early evening of the first Tuesday in August! Most neighborhood groups participate. Examples of past successful events have been:
- Ice cream socials
- Pot luck neighborhood dinners
- Neighborhood cookouts
Not only has National Night Out proven to be an effective and inexpensive program, it's also a fun way to promote safer neighborhoods and police-community partnerships. The benefit offered to neighbors getting out and meeting each other is priceless. Join this years effort. Commit to hosting a National Night Out event in your neighborhood.