Hundreds of bikes are stolen in Bellingham each year and only a handful get returned to their owners. The number one reason is very few bikes have their serial number recorded!
Win a prize
The City of Bellingham is partnering with local bike shops and bicycle advocates to provide information and events to help prevent bike theft and celebrate National Bike Month in May. Follow our social media pages for a chance to win prizes at upcoming registration events:
Register your bike online for free
Bicycle registry services allow you to register your bike and its serial number in case it is ever stolen. You can add photos and detailed descriptions. Both of these sites assist Bellingham Police in recovering stolen bikes and stopping future thefts. They also alert our local biking community to be on the lookout for stolen bikes.
Lock it right
- Always use a U-lock. Cable locks
are easily cut.
- Lock the wheel and frame together.
- Use a bike rack (sign poles and fences are not as secure).
- When possible, do not park your bike on the sidewalk or street overnight.
- Lock your bike in a well-lit and well-traveled area.
- Take lights and other easily removed items with you.
Report a stolen bike
File a report with Bellingham Police online or call (360) 778-8800
- Call 9-1-1 if you have suspect information or think you know the location of your stolen bike
- Report your bike as stolen on
- If your bike was insured through a renters, homeowners or vehicle insurance policy, contact your insurance company to file a claim.