he Bellingham Herald Building was
built in 1926 for the Bellingham Publishing Company, and is a striking
representative of Late Gothic Revival architecture. Designed by Bellingham
architect Frederick Stanley Piper and Seattle architects Morrison & Stimson,
the Herald Building's design featured a fabricated steel structure on a
reinforced concrete foundation - reportedly the first steel building erected
in the west with gypsum fireproofing. Fear of fire, after numerous downtown
Bellingham fires, likely inspired the fireproof construction of the Herald
Building. Piper designed the building in the Late Gothic Revival style to be
clad in terra cotta with quality interior finishes, including Philippine
mahogany trim, bird's eye maple flooring in the offices, terrazzo in the
hallways, and marble in the lobby. The building's floorplan included 140
offices, accessed by twin elevators, with the newspaper to be housed on the
first floor and rented offices on the upper floors.
The Bellingham Herald building continues to serve as the home for The
Bellingham Herald, the most widely read newspaper in Whatcom County.
For more information see the
Herald Building National Register of Historic Places Nomination.