The Fairhaven Library, built in 1905,
was constructed with a Chuckanut Sandstone foundation and brick walls.
However, in the 1930's when the exposed brick began to flake, white stucco
was applied over the building. Fortunately, the building's original design
details and foundation still remain today.
In 2008, the stucco that was applied to the brick began to crack and
discolor. Michael Houser, with Washington State's Department of Archaeology
and Historic Preservation, was consulted about replacing the stucco so that
the historic value of the building would not be effected. He reviewed the
issue and concluded that, the stucco could be replaced given that it has
been in existence for over 50 years, and contributes to the building's
For more information on the history of this library, read "The
Southside - Fairhaven Library".
For more historical information see the
Fairhaven Library National Register of Historic Places Nomination.