ellingham City Hall (1939) is located
at the north end of downtown. This large rectangular, two-story
building with distinct horizontal massing was constructed under the federal
programs of the Great Depression. It is an example of the substyle of Art
Deco that has come to be known as PWA Modern, characterized by Classical
composition, piers without capitals or bases, vertical fenestration, smooth
surfaces and Non-Classical decoration. Its facade is symmetrical, with a
centered, recessed entrance beneath three vertical strips of glass block.
The entrance, opening into the public lobby, is approached through a brick
courtyard and a short flight of broad, but shallow, stairs intersected with
two bronze hand rails. Above the entrance are three sculpted figures.
For more information see the
City Hall National Register of Historic Places Nomination.