Getting Started

Welcome to the Permit Center!  The Permit Center is located inside of City Hall and is open Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday from 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m., and 9:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. on Wednesdays.



Can I pay for my permit with a credit card?

Yes, the City of Bellingham now accepts Visa, Mastercard, American Express and Discover credit/debit cards for online payments up to $1500.00.

Do I need a permit?

This How to know when you need a permit (PDF) document will provide you with guidelines to determine if the work you are performing within the city limits requires a permit or if it is exempt. 

Can I access permit applications on-line?

Applications and Forms - This web-page will provide you with the links to Building, Land-Use, Public Works, and Fire Department Applications and Forms and provide instructions to submit electronically.

Can I submit my permit application on line?

The following types of permits should be applied for on line. All others must be submitted electronically.

How much will my permit fees be?

The Permit Fees page will help calculate the estimated cost of your project's permits.

How long will I have to wait for my permit?

The review time for your application depends on the scope of work proposed. The Permit Timelines and Criteria (PDF) outlines thresholds for the different review timelines. 

How do I schedule an inspection?

You may schedule online using the eTRAKiT online permit portal, or via our automated phone system. Click here for detailed instructions on scheduling inspections.

Does my project qualify as a Subject-to-Field-Inspection permit?

Subject-to-Field-Inspection Permits (PDF)- This document explains which types of projects qualify as subject to field inspection permits.

What information is available about my property online?

City IQ is a great tool that allows you to look up your property's zoning, boundaries, utilities, easements and more.

How can I find out more about the periodic updates that take place at the Permit Center?

To receive information regarding code changes, new polices and programs and other announcements from the Permit Center you may subscribe to our Technical Assistance Bulletins (TABs).