Although the City does not provide direct services in terms of housing, we do partner with local agencies such as, the Opportunity Council, Catholic Community Services, Lydia Place, Kulshan Community Land Trust, Mercy Housing, YWCA, Bellingham Housing Authority, Sun Community Services, and others that you can contact directly. Most of the City funding contracts with these agencies are targeted to those people / families earning under 30% of the area median income (AMI), or under 50 or 60% of the AMI - see this handout for specifics on what income that translates to as it depends on your family size.
The Opportunity Council
This agency offers a variety of assistance and resources at www.oppco.org. They have an online Whatcom County community resource guide, offer limited employment and job training assistance, offer resources to veteran households, provide assistance when possible to those who are at risk of eviction through their Community Resource Center (open 12pm - 4pm daily) and hosts a weekly "Housing Lab" from 10am-12pm on Tuesday's at 625 Cornwall Avenue), which includes:
- Housing needs assessment and meeting with housing advocate
- Assistance in searing for housing
- Help with creating of renters portfolios and the development of letters of explanation
- Referral to other community resources as needed
- Provision of assistance with housing retention
- Assistance in navigating tenant / landlord laws
- Help with coordinating relocations
- Mediation with roommates or landlords, when applicable
Catholic Community Services
Catholic Housing Services has a number of affordable apartments in Bellingham that can be accessed through the links on this page.
Bellingham / Whatcom County Housing Authority
Visit their website at http://www.bellinghamhousing.org.