City of Bellingham and
collaboration on a set of ten tasks to be accomplished in 2010.
Building "Bin-Bump-Up" Pilot - created an expedited green
permit review program for documented green projects (LEED Gold, BuiltGreen
4&5 Star, or equivalent).
2) Construction Waste Recycling Pilot
- development of policies to reduce construction and demolition debris
entering the waste stream.
3) Green Code Adoption - conducted analysis of
standards set forth in the International Green Construction Code.
Anticipate State adoption in 2012. New State Energy Code effective
January 1, 2011.
4) Transportation Mode Shift Incentive - reduction in
transportation impact fees for measures proven to reduce on-site trip
generation, such as
Urban Villages, distance to Whatcom Transportation Authority
utilizing Commute Trip Reduction programs.
Subject-To-Field-Inspection Permits - New
over-the-counter permit for small projects that do not require plan review.
6) Sustainable Water Management Program - creation of
rules and polices encouraging grey water and rain water harvesting.
Click here for City information on
7) Green Roof Initiative - encouraging green roofs as
a LID strategy, developing case studies (Bellingham/Whatcom Housing
Authority tower retrofits) and monitoring of
Lightcatcher Museum green roof.
8) Compilation of public and private utility incentives -
a single source of comprehensive information on energy conservation.
9) Staff training: Established Green Permit
Review Team and continued training on green building methods.
10) Advanced Materials and Methods (AMM) - clear
guidance and requirements for advanced green building techniques (i.e. solar
water heaters, porous concrete and composting toilets).
Contact for more information: Kim Weil, Planning Department,
email@example.com, (360) 778-8356.