Most City of Bellingham facilities are open during normal operating hours today, with a few exceptions. See below for a full list of closures.
A winter storm warning is in effect for Bellingham and the lowlands of Whatcom County from 4 p.m. Monday to 6 p.m. Tuesday. A winter storm warning for snow means severe winter weather conditions will make travel very hazardous or impossible.
Snow is likely on Monday afternoon and evening. Total daytime snow accumulation of less than one inch is possible, but overnight new snow accumulation of 2 to 4 more inches is expected. Snow showers are expected Tuesday before 4 p.m., followed by a mix of rain and snow showers.
It is important for Bellingham residents to know:
- It is your responsibility to clear sidewalks abutting your property (the City of Bellingham does not provide snow and ice control for sidewalks);
- Stay home if you don't need to be out. It's safer with fewer people on the streets, especially for those not comfortable driving in snow and ice;
- If you're not able to stay home, consider taking the bus. For Whatcom Transportation Authority (WTA) routes and schedules, visit www.ridewta.com or call (360) 676-7433.
Tips for drivers facing wintry street conditions:
- Prepare yourself and your car for winter driving;
- Clear your windshield and all vehicle windows before driving;
- Drive only when you really need to, and allow extra time;
- Drive for the conditions, i.e. with slower acceleration and at lower speeds;
- Use your headlights (even if you can see well already, lights help other drivers see you);
- Leave extra stopping distance between your vehicle and the one in front of you.
Emergency shelter services extended at least through Tuesday
The Lighthouse Mission Ministries (LMM) is operating extended emergency shelter services at least through Tuesday and possibly into later this week. Emergency shelter service decisions are made day-by-day, depending on the forecast. Extended shelter services will be available for as long as they are needed.
Last night, the LMM and Fountain Community Church had 182 guests out of 210 available beds. The City continues to have a room in the central library available during the day for women staying in the night shelter at Fountain Community Church.
Shelter guests can check in through the LMM Drop-In Center. The center is open 24 hours per day and is located at 1013 W. Holly Street. Anyone seeking services at the shelter is welcome. The only exception is if the person has a history of violence at the Lighthouse Mission. For information on the Lighthouse Mission Ministries or to volunteer or donate, visit www.thelighthousemission.org/
Public Works street update
Update from Public Works on Monday morning, Feb. 11:
- All crews are working primary snow routes in shifts to cover 24 hours per day for the foreseeable future.
- Calls for service should be sent to the main call line for tracking and routing: (360) 778-7700 and questions to AskPW@cob.org.
- Crews are focusing on plowing and snow removal on primary routes (map located here) for now.
- We're holding off on salt and traction sand application until we can get a better handle on removal of last night's snowfall.
- Phone calls for service on residential routes are being collected but will not be addressed until the primary routes are cleared.
Parks and Recreation update
Bellingham Parks & Recreation snow update for Monday, Feb. 11:
- All park restrooms are open with the exception of Maritime Heritage Park (there is a porta-potty in place) and Upper Whatcom Falls (closed due to frozen plumbing).
- Waypoint Park has re-opened.
- The Cemetery Office is open. Staff are working to clear the interior roads this morning.
- Big Rock Garden remains closed due to snow/ice on steep entrance roadway and parking area.
- The Lake Padden Golf Course remains closed due to the accumulated snow. The Clubhouse Pro Shop is open from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. and Coyote Grill is open today from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- The Arne Hanna Aquatic Center is closed.
- Preschool Open Gym is cancelled.
- Multi-Media Art is cancelled.
- Adult Volleyball and Basketball are cancelled.
- Joe Martin Stadium and Civic Stadium remain closed.
If the forecast holds true, it is more than likely all of the park closures and cancellations of today would extend into tomorrow.
Bellingham Public Library update
All library locations are open regular hours on Monday, Feb. 11, 2019. Please check our Facebook, our Twitter, and our homepage for any updates.
Several individual programs are cancelled today due to staff or instructor unavailability:
- Experience Brain Fitness: CANCELLED
- English Conversation Class: CANCELLED
- Teen Anime Night: CANCELLED
Check the library's online events calendar for cancellations and location changes for individual programs.
For more information
To receive emergency alerts through the City and County's AlertSense program, sign up here.
For more information on snow and ice removal on Bellingham streets, visit www.cob.org/services/transportation/Pages/snow-and-ice-removal.aspx and www.cob.org/Documents/pw/street/AllRoutes2018.pdf.
For information on the City of Bellingham's 2019 winter actions to address homelessness, visit www.cob.org/services/housing/homeless/Pages/2019-winter-actions.aspx.
For the Washington State Department of Transportation's winter driving page visit www.wsdot.com/winter/. The WSDOT winter driving guide is available at www.wsdot.com/winter/files/WinterDrivingBrochure.pdf