The City of Bellingham Planning and Community Development Department is partnering with a team of student researchers from the University of Washington’s Master of Urban Planning program. The research team will assess the interest of residents within Bellingham’s eastern Urban Growth Areas (UGAs), including Northern Heights, Tweed 20, Hillsdale, Geneva, and North Yew Street, regarding possible annexation to the City.
To collect and analyze the opinions of UGA property owners and residents, the research team will:
- Perform an analysis and prepare informational materials outlining costs and benefits associated with annexation in Bellingham’s UGAs
- Facilitate three community meetings for UGA residents to learn more about the annexation process and voice their opinions on the process
- Meeting 1: Thursday May 2 from 6-7:30 PM at Geneva Elementary
- Meeting 2: Thursday May 2 from 6-7:30 PM at Wade King Elementary
- Meeting 3: Tuesday May 7 from 6-7:30 PM at Northern Heights Elementary
- Canvassing neighborhoods to administer a survey of residents in relevant UGAs and analyze community interest in annexing to the City
- Brief the Bellingham City Council on findings on June 3, 2019
The research team is tasked with providing community members and the City with accurate and unbiased materials to better inform annexation decisions. The research team does not have a preferred outcome regarding the assessment.
Questions related to City of Bellingham annexation process may be directed to Moshe Quinn of Bellingham Planning & Community Development Department via email to email@example.com or (360) 778-8354. Questions related to the University of Washington assessment may be directed to the UW Team via email to UWTeam@cob.org.