The Climate Action Plan Task Force advises the City on issues related to 100% renewable energy goals for community and municipal energy.
In May of 2018 The Bellingham City Council passed Resolution 2018-06 to create the Climate Action Plan Task Force to develop recommendations to achieve accelerated 100% renewable energy targets, taking into account financial, technological and societal challenges resulting from such a transition. This limited-term Task Force has the following directives:
- Adopt a triple bottom line, plus technology philosophy
- Determine feasibility, costs and impacts of the 100% renewable energy ambitions
- Develop 100% renewable energy targets
- Identify funding mechanisms and develop a plan to achieve the Task Force's recommended 100% renewable targets
- Develop accelerated greenhouse gas emissions targets for the Council to consider for adoption
- Identify policy considerations to attain accelerated targets
The Task Force will deliver a final report to Council by the end of 2019. Meetings
occur on the first Wednesday of every month at 6:30 PM. Meetings are at City Hall, 210 Lottie Street -- note dates and rooms below.
- September 5, 2018 (Mayor's Board Room)
- October 3, 2018 (Mayor's Board Room)
- November 7, 2018 (Mayor's Board Room)
- December 5, 2018 (Mayor's Board Room)
- January 2, 2019 (Mayor's Board Room)
- February 6, 2019 (Council Chambers)
- March 6, 2019 (Council Chambers)
- April 10, 2019 (Mayor's Board Room)
- May 1, 2019 (Mayor's Board Room)
- June 5, 2019 (Council Chambers)
- July 3, 17, 2019 (Council Chambers) - note changed date
- August 7, 2019 (Council Chambers)
- September 4, 2019 (Council Chambers)
- October 2, 2019 (Council Chambers)
- November 6, 2019 (Council Chambers)
For further information on meetings, see agendas and meeting materials page.
The Task Force membership includes community members with experience in relevant fields such as renewable energy, energy conservation, land use, energy/resource economics, community engagement, transportation, or finance; representatives from the energy utilities and public transportation; and staff representing City of Bellingham departments. The Task Force is supported by Mayor-designated staff and City Council designated staff.
Send us your ideas
The Task Force will develop recommendations to the City Council to achieve 100% renewable energy targets. Individuals with interest or expertise in this topic are encouraged to provide ideas and suggestions here. Public input will be compiled regularly and sent to all Task Force members.
Climate Action Resources - General
Energy Supply/Renewable Energy
Buildings and Land Use