Every six years the State Recreation and Conservation Office requires cities to update their PRO Plans to compete for grants. Bellingham's last major update was 2014, with minor changes done in 2016 as part of the larger update to the Comprehensive Plan. This update will include updated park inventory and maps, strategies for prioritizing improvements, public surveys and feedback, and incorporating goals regarding asset management and recreation programming.
Public work sessions with the Parks & Recreation Advisory Board and Greenways Advisory Committee will be held on various topics throughout the summer, with preliminary drafts due in the Fall. A Parks & Recreation Community Survey is available from June through July of 2019 to gather pubic input.
As a docketed Comprehensive Plan amendment, this project requires legislative review by the Planning Commission and City Council. State of Washington deadline for completion and submittal of the updated plan is March 1, 2020.
Public Meeting Schedule:
- Tuesday, June 4: Park Advisory Board and Greenways Advisory Committee - goals and objectives work session, 6 pm – 9 pm Maritime Heritage Park Pavilion, 500 W. Holly Street
- Thursday, July 11: Park Advisory Board and Greenways Advisory Committee - map work session, 3 pm – 6 pm Woodstock Farm, 1200 Chuckanut Drive
- Tuesday, July 30: Park Advisory Board and Greenways Advisory Committee - preliminary recommendations and draft goals and objectives work session, 8 am – 11 am Fairhaven Park Pavilion, 107Chuckanut Drive N.
- Mid-September (date TBD) – Public meeting at Bloedel Donovan Park multipurpose room, 2114 Electric Ave., to present and obtain feedback on preliminary draft plan.
- Planning Commission - November 2019
- Parks & Recreation Advisory Board - December 2019
- City Council - January 2020