The purpose of the project is to design and construct improvements to the Fountain Plaza to implement the goals of the Fountain District Urban Village Plan and maximize the use of a relatively small public space. Strategies include:
- Construct a signature fountain to adhere to the property donation covenants, enforce the district's namesake and provide a gateway to the Fountain District Urban Village;
- Celebrate the history of the site by providing educational materials or experiences;
- Define the character of the district through artwork and other distinctive elements;
- Create experiences specifically targeting transit riders, middle-school aged children and customers of the immediately-surrounding businesses;
- Consider wayfinding or other elements that create identify/connection/ownership/unity with the three surrounding neighborhoods; and
- Remove the existing maple tree for safety, light and/or functionality.
Private Donation, Park Impact Fees
The guy pole and traffic box were painted by Piget Sound Energy City of Bellingham hired contractors, respectively. The project will be re-bid late December 2019. Construction is anticipated to begin in March and run to June 2020.