RECORD OF PROCEEDING OF CITY COUNCIL
CITY OF BELLINGHAM, WASHINGTON
City Council Chambers
Monday, April 02, 2012, 06:00 PM
Book: 66, Page: 1
Called To Order The meeting was called to order by Council President Terry Bornemann
Jack Weiss, Council Member, First Ward
AB19514 1. Water and Sewer Rate Study
Presented by: Ted Carlson, Public Works Director
Bob Bandarra, Public Works Utilities Superintendent
Gordon Wilson, FCS Group Representative
Issues and Policy Topics:
Gene Knutson, Council Member, Second Ward
Cathy Lehman, Council Member, Third Ward
Stan Snapp, Council Member, Fourth Ward
Terry Bornemann, Council Member, Fifth Ward
Michael Lilliquist, Council Member, Sixth Ward
Seth Fleetwood, Council Member, At Large
1. Low Income – Incorporate low income rates for the general public into the rate structure?
DIRECTION GIVEN TO STAFF TO RESEARCH THE NUMBER OF LOW INCOME RATE PAYERS BASED ON SOCIAL SERVICES QUALIFICATION AND REPORT BACK TO COUNCIL FOR FURTHER CONSIDERATION. Unanimous consent.
2. Monthly Billing – Evaluate the cost/benefits associated with monthly billing?
DIRECTION GIVEN TO STAFF TO RESEARCH THE COST OF MONTHLY BILLING AND THE COSTS INCURRED WITH ELECTRONIC PAYMENT OPTIONS. Unanimous consent.
3. Transitional Rate Structure – Rate structure that will allow the City to phase in new rates through a larger fixed base and smaller commodity charge?
DIRECTION TO STAFF TO IMPLEMENT 65% BASE / 35% CONSUMPTION SPLIT UNTIL ALL DWELLING UNITS ARE METERED. Mixed recommendation, carried by majority.
4. Future System Development Charges (SDC) – Would Council like staff to develop an SDC to encourage development in designated areas of the City?
DIRECTION TO STAFF TO RESEARCH AND PRESENT A SET OF OPTIONS FOR SDCs TO COUNCIL FOR FURTHER CONSIDERATION. Unanimous consent.
5. Wholesale Rate – Add a rate that will allow the sale of water on a volumetric basis to other cities and special purpose districts?
DIRECTION TO STAFF TO SCHEDULE ANOTHER WORKSESSION FOR FURTHER CONSIDERATION OF THIS QUESTION. Unanimous consent.
6. Fund Reserve Balances – Should reserve balance include:
DIRECTION TO STAFF TO RESCHEDULE THIS ITEM TO A TIME WHEN THE CITY FINANCE DIRECTOR IS PRESENT TO COMMENT AND MAKE A RECOMMENDATION. Unanimous consent.
• A Rate stabilization fund
• A 45-60 day operating reserve
7. Should condos with individual meters to be viewed as Single Family Residential customers and be billed at the SFR rate?
DIRECTION TO STAFF TO REVIEW CLASSIFICATION AS IT RELATES TO THE INFILL TOOLKIT ELIGIBILITY AND ACCESSORY DWELLING UNITS AND REPORT BACK TO COUNCIL FOR FURTHER CONSIDERATION. Unanimous consent.
8. Credit Card Service Fees - Should this be a utility cost or customer cost?
INFORMATION ONLY. (The city finance director will make a separate presentation on this matter).
There being no further business, the meeting adjourned at 8:01 PM.
Terry Bornemann, Council President
ATTEST: J. Lynne Walker, Executive Assistant to the Bellingham City Council
|This is a digital copy of an original document located at Bellingham's City Hall. The City of Bellingham specifically disclaims any responsibility or liability for the contents of this document. The City of Bellingham does not verify the correctness, accuracy, or validity of the information appearing in this document. |