RECORD OF PROCEEDING OF CITY COUNCIL
CITY OF BELLINGHAM, WASHINGTON
Saturday, March 15, 2014, 07:00 PM
Book: , Page: 1
Called To Order The meeting was called to order by Council President Cathy Lehman at 9:00 a.m.
Jack Weiss, Council Member, First Ward
Gene Knutson, Council Member, Second Ward
Cathy Lehman, Council Member, Third Ward
Pinky Vargas, Council Member, Fourth Ward
Terry Bornemann, Council Member, Fifth Ward
Michael Lilliquist, Council Member, Sixth Ward
Roxanne Murphy, Council Member, At Large
1. Discussion of City Council Internal Processes
a. Committee structure and process check in;
b. Use of advisory committees;
c. Optimal utilization of our department resources, staff & budget;
d. Emergency management/chain of command when majority absent.
Council members agreed to work on the following issues during the first half of the year with proposed solutions brought back to a regular Council meeting if appropriate.
· Improve agenda bill style and substance
· Ideas to improve communication to the public
· Examine alternate ways of running/structuring meetings
· Review staff functions and update job descriptions
· Improve communication, process, and timelines with Administration re: Council action items
· Advisory Groups -- Examine role and confirmation processes
· Reconvene Committee Restructure Work Group (one time to review meeting process)
· Chain of Command during emergencies -- Bring back solution to Council
2. City Council Meeting Procedures
3. Policy Discussion: Equitable distribution of Parks resources; possible referral to committee
a. Review/discussion of parliamentary procedure, other Council rules;
b. Council meeting decorum “rules”;
c. Policy on cell phone use during Council meetings.
Council members and staff agreed to work on the following issues during the first half of the year with proposed solutions brought back to a regular Council meeting if appropriate.
· A resolution to adopt Council Meeting Rules
· Cell Phone use rules
4. Working Lunch and discussion regarding technology issues
Additional information regarding level of service for North end parks will be brought back for additional discussion at the March 24, 2014 afternoon Council meeting.
5. Other issues/Council assignment
There being no further business, the meeting adjourned at 1:00 PM.
Cathy Lehman, Council President
ATTEST: Legislative Analyst
a. Cell phone/iPad payment policies, budget;
b. User interface choices with new meeting software;
c. Agenda item scheduling issues with new meeting software.
|This is a digital copy of an original document located at Bellingham's City Hall. The City of Bellingham specifically disclaims any responsibility or liability for the contents of this document. The City of Bellingham does not verify the correctness, accuracy, or validity of the information appearing in this document. |