Did you know . . . that fires have resulted from filling metal portable gasoline containers (gas cans) in the back of pick-up trucks while the containers were resting on plastic bed liners, or in vehicles with carpeted or rubber-matter surfaces? These fires result from the buildup of static electricity.
The insulating effect of bed liners, carpeting or rubber mats prevents the static charge generated by gasoline flowing into containers from grounding. The discharge of the buildup to the grounded gasoline dispenser nozzle may cause a spark and ignite the gasoline. Both ungrounded metal(most hazardous) and plastic gas containers have been involved in these incidents. To minimize the possibility of a fire when dispensing gasoline into a portable can: