City of Bellingham and Sustainable Connections collaboration on a set of ten tasks to be accomplished in 2010.
1) Green Building "Bin-Bump-Up" Pilot - created an expedited green permit review program for documented green projects (LEED Gold, BuiltGreen 4&5 Star, or equivalent).
2) Construction Waste Recycling Pilot - development of policies to reduce construction and demolition debris entering the waste stream.
3) Green Code Adoption - conducted analysis of standards set forth in the International Green Construction Code. Anticipate State adoption in 2012. New State Energy Code effective January 1, 2011.
4) Transportation Mode Shift Incentive - reduction in transportation impact fees for measures proven to reduce on-site trip generation, such as Urban Villages, distance to Whatcom Transportation Authority Go-Lines and utilizing Commute Trip Reduction programs.
5) Subject-To-Field-Inspection Permits - New over-the-counter permit for small projects that do not require plan review.
6) Sustainable Water Management Program - creation of rules and polices encouraging grey water and rain water harvesting. Click here for City information on water conservation.
7) Green Roof Initiative- encouraging green roofs as a LID strategy, developing case studies (Bellingham/Whatcom Housing Authority tower retrofits) and monitoring of Lightcatcher Museum green roof.
8) Compilation of public and private utility incentives- a single source of comprehensive information on energy conservation.
9) Staff training: Established Green Permit Review Team and continued training on green building methods.
10) Advanced Materials and Methods (AMM) - clear guidance and requirements for advanced green building techniques (i.e. solar water heaters, porous concrete and composting toilets).
Contact for more information: Kim Weil, Planning Department, firstname.lastname@example.org, (360) 778-8356.