Water Whys Videos
Water Whys is a television series produced by the City for BTV Channel 10.
The videos are available at Bellingham Public and Whatcom County Libraries. The
following shows were produced between 2000 and 2002.
Changes in Whatcom Creek
- Footage of the June 10, 1999 Olympic Pipe Line explosion
- Learn about the history and restoration effort along Whatcom Creek
- Meet Bill Y the Water Guy
- Find out where water from storm drains ends up.
- See amazing footage of the 1983 flood.
- Learn why wetlands are important to managing stormwater.
- Follow the journey of wastewater from your home to Puget Sound.
- Discover the short history of sewage treatment in Bellingham.
- The Water Whys crew visits the Northwest Flower and Garden Show in Seattle
ways to have a beautiful garden and protect our waterways.
- Bill Y tells you about mulching
- Learn about the benefits of trees to the survival of salmon such as large woody debris, riparian restoration and sustainable forestry
- The traditional Lummi
First Salmon Celebration highlights the importance of salmon to the native
- Bill Y the Water Guy teaches the proper method for planting
A Cool Fish Story
- Take a comprehensive look at the salmon life cycle.
- Learn earth-friendly car wash techniques from Bill Y.
- Discover ways you can help bring back our salmon.
Preserving Padden Creek
- Explore the history of Fairhaven.
- Discover our hopes for restoring Padden Creek.
- Learn the practical and spiritual value of our urban streams.
Whatcom Creek Recovery: an Update
- Talk View restoration efforts along Whatcom Creek following the
1999Olympic Pipe Line explosion.
- Tour the site with agency staff.
- Learn about restoration plans.
Saving Squalicum Creek
- See how development affects our creeks and learn what we can do to
lessen our impact.
- Hear about the history and future of the Squalicum Creek Watershed.
- Learn about restoration efforts and plans for Squalicum Creek.
Bellingham's Historic Waterworks
- View 16mm film taken of Public Works water projects in the
- Receive a summary of the history of Bellingham over a
background of wonderful period music pieces.
- See the dedication and accomplishments of Bellingham's Public Works
employees over the last century.