Firefighter and Paramedic Employment and Testing
Thank you for your interest in
employment with the Bellingham Fire Department. The following information is
provided to answer some of your questions about the firefighter recruitment
- Must be a U.S. Citizen.
- Applicants must be a minimum of 21 years old at the time of
certification of the register.
- Must be a high school graduate or have received a GED.
- Must pass a police criminal convictions records check with no felony
record within the last seven years. Misdemeanor convictions will also be
reviewed for the last seven years. A conviction will not necessarily
disqualify an applicant, but offenses by their nature and recentness may
reveal a lack of specific qualifications for the position.
- Must possess EMT certification or acquire within 90 days of employment and maintain
for the duration of employment
- Must possess or obtain a Washington State Emergency Vehicle Accident
Prevention (EVAP) certification within 90 days of initial hire.
- Must have a valid Washington State driver’s license and no record of
driver’s license suspension or revocation in any state within the last
- Must meet minimum medical requirements, including a pre-employment
- Excellent physical condition, including ability to swim and tread
water and retrieve a submerged weight.
- Must not have smoked or used tobacco products for a minimum of 24
months prior to application.
- Must be willing and able to work at considerable heights (up to 100
feet) on a ladder.
The City of Bellingham partners with National Testing Network,
Inc (NTN) to provide full testing services for the position of Firefighter.
We anticipate the next recruitment for City of Bellingham will be in the
late fall of 2014. Check back for updates. Additional information will be
posted on our website when the recruitment opens. Candidates interested in
applying can sign up to receive email notification when opportunities are
posted. Job Alerts
For more information, to fill out an application and schedule to test, go to
National Testing Network, select Fire and sign up for the Bellingham
Fire Department (available during the recruitment period).
What to expect at the
National Testing Network website:
- Completion of the application process
- Review all information related to the Bellingham Police Department police
officer position, including minimum requirements, salary and benefits.
- Detailed information about the testing process for both the entry level
test and PAT testing.
- Opportunity to take online practice tests at www.frontlinetest.com.
- Schedule your own convenient test time. Tests are offered multiple times a
week, including Saturdays.
- Take high quality job simulation tests in a standardized, fair testing
Compensation and Benefits
The current salary for the position of firefighter is $4973/month; the full
salary range is $4973 – $6307/month. An extensive benefits package is
provided including medical, dental, vision and prescription drug coverage.
Employees are subject to the provisions of a union contract.
If you have any questions regarding the recruitment process, contact
Human Resources. Also visit the
Fire Department’s web page.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Women and minorities are encouraged to apply. Persons with disabilities
needing assistance in the application/examination process should contact